[RANT] Installed F10 - X performance went into the crapper

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 05:50:48 UTC 2009

<Rant mode>

I recently "upgraded" my computer at work from FC6 to F10 and
performance went from OK to barely usable. The box is an ancient PIII
900 MHz with 512 MB memory, a PCI Nvidia graphics card with the free nv
driver, a 1600x1200 monitor, and a slow 13 GB disk (your US tax dollars
at work).

With FC6, I ran KDE 3.5 without any problems. I could drag and resize
windows without glitches, scrolling was slow but basically usable, and
Vim in a console (where I spend most of my time) was pleasant to use.

Now with F10 I'm using XFCE, and the box is a total P.O.S.  Resizing or
moving a window is a nightmare, the screen redraw is too slow to keep up
with the cursor, and I see lots of screen glitches. When I open an app
like Firefox with a complicated screen, I see the screen being drawn in
individual pieces. Scrolling text in a Vim console is much too slow to
be usable.

Non-X applications run fine, so I've concluded that X is the problem. I
could submit a bugzilla, "X performance went to hell", but I doubt that
it would be taken seriously. I don't really expect any help here, but
I'll be happy to try any suggestions.

There, now I feel better. Thanks for listening.

Regards,

John