Differences between KDE & Gnome

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 13:50:56 UTC 2009

Hi all,

As a (self-declared) veteran of 8 months using Fedora 9, I'm
wondering.... what is the "technical" distinction between KDE & Gnome?

 When I first installed F9, Gnome was the default, so I took it, used
it, & was "acceptably happy" with it.  Then a month or so ago, following
a response to the thread about HTML editors, I installed Quanta,
discovered it needed KDE "things" to work properly, so installed KDE &
have been "acceptably happy" using it ever since (& enormous "Thanks" to
whoever suggested Quanta - a super-magic app!!!!!).

Now, I'm wondering--do I "need" to have both KDE & Gnome installed?  Are
there "things" that only work (properly) in one and not in the other?
(apart from the bouncy doo-dads which I assume are a KDE TM).  If I keep
both installed, are all the updates done in one automatically available
to the other?  Are hand-installed programs equally available?

And...... what the heck is the definition of "widget", "plasma" &
"plasmoid" -- all the doo-dads around my KDE screen appear to do the
same things as icons & buttons??

Thanks for your comment (** thanks to all the people who set up all the
toys & keep them working when I break them  !!!!**)

Dave*      *