myqsl dummy needs help

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 23:08:22 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, Mike Wright wrote:
>locate mysql | grep '/bin/' | grep install
/usr/bin/mysql_install_db
/usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation

The secure installer asks me for my root pw then tells me to just press enter
Enter current password for root (enter for none):
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Enter current password for root (enter for none):

So I ctl-c it and run the install_db, which gets me back to the selinux & its
used bull food leavings.

Do I need to touch /.autorelabel and reboot?  With 2TB of drives I can't begin
to describe how painful that 4 hours would be.

Or go file a bug against selinux and mysql?

Frustration reigns supreme here.  If I have to reboot, it might just be to
Kubuntu-8.10 or a beta of 9.4.

Added that (selinux) list to To:  Daniel, your turn, it's 18:05 here, and I've
been screwing with this since about 18:00 yesterday.  That is long enough
IMO.  This thread has a now VERY lengthy thread on the fedora list.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)