myqsl dummy needs help

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Feb 17 00:16:56 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009, Craig White wrote:

>>> I got to here ^^^ and selinux stuck up its hand & waved at me.
>>> SELinux is preventing mysqld (mysqld_t) "create" to mysql.sock
>>> (var_lib_t).
>>>
>>> And recommended I run restorecon -v 'mysql.sock', but:
>>> [root at coyote rpms]# restorecon -v 'mysql.sock'
>>> restorecon:  stat error on mysql.sock:  No such file or directory
>>>
>>> So I go back to the top of the list above and repeat, apparently forever
>>> cuz I get the same thing when I restart mysqld.
>>>
>>> Now, since mysql.sock doesn't exist, because it can't create it, therefore
>>> restorecon can't do anything about it, WTH do I do next?
>>>
>>> So I located the old one in the database, touched a new one, then
>>> 'chown mysql:mysql mysql.sock;restorecon -v mysql.sock'  No errors
>>> reported. But, a 'service mysqld start' eventually fails.  And now the
>>> selinux count is plus 2 cuz I tried it twice.
>>>
>>> So how do we fix YAMYSQLFSCKUP?
>> ----
>> ignoring that the person whining is the one who deleted the directory in
>> the first place, it should have been obvious to you that you needed to
>> also restore the security contexts on /var/lib/mysql when you recreated
>> it.
>>
>> Are you having a good time blaming everything else for your troubles?
>>
>> There are millions of people running mysql without your issues.
>>
>> Craig
>
> With all due respect Craig, it must have done it once, over a year ago, but I
> haven't been using it for anything.  I had yum rpm -e the whole thing which
> took a few other things along with it, then reinstalled the whole maryann.
>
> No change.  If, when it was installed originally, it spit out any such errors,
> I don't after a year, recall them, and selinux has been updated a dozen times
> since the install and my re-enabling selinux.  So lets be realistic and see
> just what the hell we can do about selinux killing mysql instead of your
> usual shoot the messenger attitude.

Name calling won't solve anyone's problems, gang.  Let's try to keep
this a bit more professional, shall we?

Now, to address the issue, /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock is a FIFO (actually
a named pipe), not an actual file and is created when mysqld starts up
and deleted when mysql shuts down.  When mysqld is running, it should
appear as follows:

# ls -lZ mysql.sock
srwxrwxrwx  mysql mysql unconfined_u:object_r:mysqld_var_run_t:s0 mysql.sock

If your /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock is a regular file (which it would be
if you used "touch" to create it), first delete the file and run
"restorecon -v /var/lib/mysql" as root.  Then see if mysql will start
up.  It may not, because if you "rm -rf /var/lib/mysql", then you also
destroyed mysql's users, hosts and permissions database which it needs
to manage things.  You should be able to recover them by running the
following commands:

	# mysql </usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables.sql
	# mysql </usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables_data.sql
	# mysql </usr/share/mysql/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql

Or "yum remove mysql*" and reinstall the packages that get removed.
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -