myqsl dummy needs help

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 02:49:16 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, Craig White wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 15:38 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> webmin not available according to yum.
>>
>> Ok, so I rip it out again, only this time I run a script that searches the
>> locate database for mysql and deletes all the leftovers before I
>> reinstall.
>>
>> Would that help?  Something is obviously completely fubar.
>
>----
>turned out that I had to start mysqld before running...
>
>mysqladmin - u root password 'new-password'
>
>after that, it was no problem connecting
>
># mysqladmin -u root password 'test'
>[root at lin-workstation httpd]# mysql -p
>Enter password:
>Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>Your MySQL connection id is 5
>Server version: 5.0.67 Source distribution
>
>Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
>mysql> \q
>Bye
>
>webmin (rpm and/or tarball) is available at http://www.webmin.com
>
>Craig

This time I not only had yum remove anything mysql related, I then ran thru
the output of a fresh updatedb run, and nuked everything I could find.

Then I had yum install about 50 mysql related packages.  Now it will at least
start mysqld.
If the root pw is empty I should be able to run something, so I'll start with
mysqladmin in the gui.  And using the gui, and this machines FQDN, I am
apparently in.

The bottom line would appear to be, if you don't have any databases to save,
then yum remove *mysql*, updatedb locate and nuke ANYTHING left behind, then
re-install.  If you have a database to save, well, rotsa ruck.  Hope you have
backups.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)