myqsl dummy needs help

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 19:02:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>> It's not quite that bad.  You can reset by simply removing the contents
>>> of /var/lib/mysql and starting the mysql service.  If you have a
>>> database to save, you can use --skip-grant-tables and resetting any
>>> passwords that you require.
>>
>> I am glad that it worked for you.  I did that 4 times, and each time the
>> restart was foiled by selinux.  Only a total, complete nuke job, cleaning
>> up all the leftovers with rm, succeeded in making a fresh install work.
>
>That is very likely because you removed /var/lib/mysql, and did not
>"restorecon /var/lib/mysql" when you re-created it.
>
>I'm also still curious how your /tmp got its permissions restricted.
>Did you do that intentionally?

Yes, the idea was to make it warn me if somehow, somebody got in and was
trying to play funnies..  Its back to normal now, in 2 years of using dd-wrt
as my router, no one I did not give the ssh passwords to has managed that
feat, but they keep banging on it none-the-less.  The one thing that dd-wrt
is missing is a portsentry or denyhosts setup.  If everyone ran that, these
shitheads would have to either find another way, or find another means of
buying their peanut butter.  Hmmm, could we sell them some of the recalled
stuff?  That of course is based on the "don't get mad, get even" theory. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)