DHCP assistance required.

Simon Slater pyevet at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 17 20:51:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 22:44 +1030, Tim wrote:
>  > I just wonder why the parser was pointing to the line before this
> one?
>
> The last one it understood?  Although that was the sort of behaviour
> I've seen in other things (the computer says things were fine up
> to /this/ point), but it doesn't tally with the way I'm used to seeing
> error messages in this case.
>
> You could try stuffing up another line to see what the error response
> is.  Perhaps the error reporting is wrong.  I've certainly seen other
> things make wrong error reports.  e.g. Error "at line 10..." where
> it's
> been counting lines of commands and treating multiple blank lines as
> single blank lines, instead of giving you a real line count position.

At this point in time Tim, I think I'll follow the old adage "If it
isn't broken, don't fix it".  But as I add dhcp clients, I fully expect
to add more functionality into the dhcpd.conf, so I'll try inducing
errors when I next need to make changes (if my modifications don't cause
errors anyway).  It is curious though because those 2 lines came from
the dhcpd.conf.sample file. I copied the file across to /etc and deleted
what I didn't need to start with.  Something changed along the way and I
didn't notice.

Thanks again everyone.

--
Hooroo,