Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Wed Feb 18 08:35:09 UTC 2009

fred smith wrote:

>>> To go back to my posting earlier in the thread, running synclient results
>>> in an error message about SHMConfig not existing.
>> ----
>> assuming...
>> - you have installed xorg-x11-drv-synaptics package
>> - copied the file referenced to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi
>> - identified the specific touchpad in /proc/bus/input/devices
>> - added the SHMConfig reference to this 11-synaptics.fdi in the
>> appropriate section
>> - restarted the computer
>>
>> you shouldn't get that message
>>
>> Which part of this are you struggling with?
>
> trying to do it without having to create xorg.conf.
>
> i've done all the steps with the synaptics.fdi file, and it doesn't
> seem to disable the touchpad, either. Oh well, it's not a huge deal,
> I just thought it would be interesting to know how to do it.
>
> Thanks!

Two thing come to mind...

You may be taking instructions from the post that left out the 'policy'
directory in it's copy path when copying the 11-synaptics.fdi file.

If not, then could it be that the entries need to be lined up (executed)
in a certain order?

I would suggest looking at the 'solved' post. I purposely did a 'step by
step' account of how to do this (with the right copy path included), but
I also have a link to where you can see my edited synaptics.fdi file in
that post.

Rocco