qemu-kvm: qns regarding network and usb keyboard setup

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:08:18 UTC 2009

2009/2/17 Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> suvayu ali wrote:
>>>
>>> Neither can I go to a virtual terminal using Ctrl+Alt+<Fn key>. everytime
>>> I press Ctrl+Alt it releases the keyboard input and I am back in the
>>> host.
>>
>> Even if the grab wasn't released by Ctrl+Alt, the key would still be
>> intercepted by the host. This happens at X11 level, so the key doesn't
>> even
>> reach applications such as QEMU-KVM.
>>
> I have no idea what you mean here, sequences such as Cntl-Alt-2 (control
> console) certainly do reach QEMU and bring the expected response. That they
> go through the driver, kernel, X11, and for all I know Paris is detail, the
> point is that these sequences do pass through unless some higher level acts
> on them.
>
> To the O.P.: sure, the secret is the Alt-Cntl-2 escape which takes you to
> the QEMU monitor. There you can send what you want (type help) which is
>  sendkey Cntl-Alt-f2
> to change to a non-X terminal.

Thanks Bill this worked wonderfully. I noticed that I missed this on
the man page after I went through them again after reading your post.

However my arrow keys still don't work as it usually does on regular
consoles. I tried using it in the QEMU monitor, and it worked there.
So I tried this, "sendkey up" this _did_ send the up arrow signal to
the terminal I had opened in the GUI. So do I have to do this every
time? Are there other ways to set it up to make it work the way I want
to?

This is the first time I am playing around with VMs. Thanks for
bearing with my dumb questions. :)

--
Suvayu