KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 02:30:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
> Aldo Foot wrote:
>>> Ok, bare with me awhile, but ... why? Or are you securing against
>>> users who turn off their firewall?
>
> I think Aldo means "bear with me".  TOTALLY different connotation,
> there, Aldo!  :-)

LOL! that cracked me up!!! I think I'll pass!

> I tend to agree with that.  I don't use KDE myself and I don't know what
> KDE needs a database for in the first place. <snip>

I asked the same question of Firefox when I saw they resorted to mysqlite to
store bookmarks. I've seen some commercial backup product that uses
mysql as their dbase engine because of efficiency issues. So it seems to
work for some applications. I have no idea how mysql relates to KDE though.

> There's a tremendous number of these "dependency" things now.  I can't
> tell you how many times I've had to remove the stupid language packs
> that Firefox keeps sticking on my machine every time there's an update.
> I've complained.

When I do test installs I look here and there to remove things whose names
I cannot even pronounce. I cross my fingers and I have to backtrack when
I see all the stuff that will be removed. More often than not I wonder "what
this has to do with that?" It's truly a pain to put up with utilities
I never use.
But the world looks different using a programmer's pair of eyeglasses; they
think in terms of reusable code (OOP) and in the process create all those
dependencies we don't understand.

~af