Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10 (solved)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 19 18:00:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 08:21 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 12:19 -0700, Linux Media wrote:
> > Copy/Rename the FDI file...
> > cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi \
> >   /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi
>
> You do want to make sure that you add in a user custom config file, not
> modify the default one.  Because, otherwise, you'll lose your
> customisation at the next yum update that updates the relevant package.
>
> I haven't tried Fedora 10, yet, but on 9, playing with SHM (one of the
> methods of disabling the touchpad) isn't 100% effective.  Every now and
> then (like half a second, in the most appropriate moment) the touchpad
> will spring back to life, again.  And there are some security issues
> with this technique.  Unfortunately I had to take that route, because
> the touchpad does need to work, sometimes, and does need to be disabled
> at other times, and rebooting/reconfiguring is not a reasonable option.
----
using the methodology as described by Linux Media,

simply running 'synclient TouchpadOff=1' in konsole indeed stops the
mouse but the touchpad is still somewhat active in that the computer
will wake when the touchpad is touched. The important part is to disable
the mouse movement though since it is annoying to have the mouse
relocate while you are typing away.

Craig