Since when doesn't Fedora use xorg.conf ?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 19:40:12 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Since when doesn't Fedora use xorg.conf ?
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, February 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Linuxguy123
> <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are all sorts of posts associated with the
> "Disabling mouse taps
> > on Fedora 10" thread that state that Fedora 10
> doesn't use an xorg.conf
> > file.
> >
> > When did Fedora/X stop using an xorg.conf file ?
> >
> > It certainly isn't mentioned in the F10 release
> notes.
> >
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html#X_Window_system_-_graphics
> >
> > How and where are the X system settings set and held
> now ?
> >
> > Thanks
>

> A few releases ago Xorg starting pretending to be too smart
> for an
> xorg.conf. It has been very very annoying for me.
>

> --
> Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
> ( www.pembo13.com )
>
> --

While I can concur *Sometimes it is annoying*, on 9 out of 10 machines that I run Fedora 10 on, I don't have xorg.conf and things are working great.  But there is an exception, the one with ATI built in the motherboard, I get very bad resolution 640x480(not even 800x600) that there is a need for it :)

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]

I just tried to install Fedora on another machine with similar built in only that lspci reports it as ATI Radeon 200 and it is a no go, even with Text INSTALL, so YMMV :)

Regards,

Antonio