MCE Remote Control

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 04:56:17 UTC 2009

I got a cheap MCE remote control (usb interface), and thought I'd give
it a try. After reading the lirc documentation, my brain exploded, so I
thought I'd just plug the sucker in and see what happened.

Well, what happened is that the keyboard stopped working along with the
mouse buttons. So, I stopped X and plugged the receiver in. Now I could
see that some devices got created in /dev/input, namely "event4",
"event5", and "mouse1". Doing lsusb showed me that two new usb devices
existed, a HID keyboard, and a HID mouse.

So, can someone give me a clue as to how to proceed in getting this
thing to be useful?

Thanks,

John