Tune started from rc.local plays to completion, before bootup continues

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Feb 22 15:13:49 UTC 2009

Experimenting a bit, I set up a one liner in rc.local, which uses aplay to
play a tune which I put in /usr/local. See below.

aplay /usr/local/Summer-in-the-city.wav

I had to disable pulseaudio, by removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, otherwise
the tune wouldn't play, but perhaps further aplay options are needed to get
the tune to play with pulseaudio enabled.

The question is though. When the tune is playing the bootup sequence stops,
until the tune has finished playing, then procedes.

Is there a way for the tune, which is fired off from rc.local, to play without
interrupting the boot process?

Thanks in advance for any incantations that may resolve the problem.

Nigel.