Tune started from rc.local plays to completion, before bootup continues

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 22 15:22:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 16:13 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Experimenting a bit, I set up a one liner in rc.local, which uses aplay to
> play a tune which I put in /usr/local. See below.
>
> aplay /usr/local/Summer-in-the-city.wav
>
> I had to disable pulseaudio, by removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, otherwise
> the tune wouldn't play, but perhaps further aplay options are needed to get
> the tune to play with pulseaudio enabled.
>
> The question is though. When the tune is playing the bootup sequence stops,
> until the tune has finished playing, then procedes.
>
> Is there a way for the tune, which is fired off from rc.local, to play without
> interrupting the boot process?
>
> Thanks in advance for any incantations that may resolve the problem.
----
add an & to the end of the line so it forks its own process and allows
rc.local to complete...

aplay /usr/local/Summer-in-the-city.wav &

and I would think that the problem you had with pulseaudio playing this
music is that rc.local is executed as root but root wouldn't have
pulseaudio running unless root had already logged in.

Craig