Swap space

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 15:46:28 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> You're forgetting that USB transfers consume a fair amount of cpu time,
> unlike a SATA disk which is DMA. That's why I asked if anyone had
> actually done a comparison. With so many complex interactions between
> paging policy, system load, disk configurations, wide variations in
> flash memory speeds etc., theory is a poor substitute for actual
> measurement.

Oh, quite. And you have to consider the type of system load, too.

Nevertheless, with quad-core systems now common, I’d be quite happy to
spend a bit of CPU time to accelerate swapping.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | [Cats] already know how to do quantum tunnelling. What
aprilcottage.co.uk | they don't tell you is Schrodinger never put the cat