Problem with keyboard layout in kvm virtual machine

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Sun Feb 22 18:35:29 UTC 2009

This weekend I have successfully installed kvm and qemu, and Win XP is
running in a virtual machine. A problem remains: Win XP installs with
German locale (the default, as I used a German installation cd), but a
strange keyboard layout results - some kind of qwertyu, it is not the US
one which I know.

In KDE (system settings - regional and language) I have set the "DE"
keyboard layout as well. Whenever I switch to "US" there, I immediatedly
get the correct layout in the Windows guest, and switching to "DE" again
in KDE brings back the strange layout in Win XP.

Any pointers to what may be configured wrong are welcome.
Klaus