current state of ati graphics

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:36:58 UTC 2009

On 2/23/09, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and for the past few
> iterations have gone with Nvida, mostly because they provided a
> working linux driver with 3D acceleration; most people I knew with ATI
> chipsets had problems with their drivers at one time or another (and
> for a long time only older cards were supported).  Since AMD have
> apparently released the specs needed to write an open driver for them
> I thought it might be worth supporting them this time around, but I'm
> not sure what the current state of ATI support looks like. I'd guess
> there has been long enough for an accelerated driver to make it into
> the kernel, but I see that there is also a recent release of their
> proprietary driver.  What are people's recent experiences with ATI?  I
> wouldn't be looking for the highest end card, just something that can
> happily run compiz and flash videos 1280x1024.  The nvidia I'm
> considering are around the 8500 / 9400 mark.

I'm using the proprietary driver from rpmfusion with an ATI RadeonHD
2400. It is quite stable now and with good performance (compiz, full
screen videos at the resolution you pointed out, etc...) and no major
issues. I'm running F9. With the open source driver I couldn't get
full screen videos. Maybe someone here with better luck can tell
his/her experience.

HTH