Problem with keyboard layout in kvm virtual machine

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Mon Feb 23 20:23:29 UTC 2009

Matthew Flaschen schrieb:
> Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
>> In KDE (system settings - regional and language) I have set the "DE"
>> keyboard layout as well. Whenever I switch to "US" there, I immediatedly
>> get the correct layout in the Windows guest, and switching to "DE" again
>> in KDE brings back the strange layout in Win XP.
>
> You didn't mention what your host architecture was.  man qemu mentions a
> -k keyboard language option, but says, "This option is only needed where
> it is not easy to get raw PC key‐codes (e.g. on Macs, with some X11
> servers or with a VNC display). You don’t normally need to use it on
> PC/Linux or PC/Windows hosts."  You could try experimenting with that.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: The host is a Fedora i86_64 installation,
and up to now I have used virt-manager for creation and management of
the Win XP guest.

As a try, I started the guest with
	$ sudo qemu-kvm XP.img
and even without the option "-k de", this gave me the proper German
keyboard layout in XP.

Back to virt-manager, the old behaviour reappeared. I would like to stay
with this tool because of its easy ways to configure the hardware. Are
there any hidden configuration slots that I have missed, or is it time
for filing a bug report against virt-manager?
Klaus