Skype and video[Was:Webcam recommendations?]

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 22:13:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 22:54 +0100, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Skype 2.0.0.72 and I have a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks,
> as reported by lsusb:
>
> idVendor           0x046d Logitech, Inc.
> idProduct          0x08dd QuickCam for Notebooks
> bcdDevice            1.00
>
> With this version of Skype, I'm able to see other people doing video
> conference (better quality with compiz disabled), but I can't get the
> webcam working. In Options->Video, the webcam is detected, but when I
> push the "Test" button, all I get is this:
>
> Starting the process...
> Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 4
> Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
> Skype Xv: Using Xv port 131
> <Here Skype closes and I get the command prompt again>
>
> Nothing catches my eye in the system log. I tried to install
> libv4l.i386 but it didn't make any difference.
>
> Any success cases? Any hints on how to solve this?

For just testing the webcam video I used the 'ucview' command (it's in
the ucview package). As mentioned in the old thread, I have a Logitech
webcam, on a PC not a notebook though, and the ucview command detects
the webcam fine, and displays what the webcam sees (basically me looking
at my monitor!).

I've been using skype from home to work using both audio and video. The
only problem I had was getting audio to work, one setting in skype
needed to be changed, then audio worked.

Skype package is: skype-2.0.0.72-fc5.i586

John.