Partition XP disk to add F-10 -

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Wed Feb 25 19:48:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 01:27:34PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 14:48 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > 40 Gb is not very large. I wouldn't suggest that you have XP with too
> > > much less than 20 Gb but the installer can indeed shrink the NTFS
> > > partition on the fly during installation and use the space made
> > > available for Linux.
> > >
> > > I would suggest that you use the Windows tools to 'defragment' the XP
> > > installation first unless that is a fairly clean, unused XP
> > > installation.
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >

> > Yes, I already ran the "defrag" on Xp and it found nothing
> > to do as I expected since it is a new install on a used box.
> > I have no use for Windows but I keep throwing Windows installations
> > away and it seemed like I ought to keep one.  It also came with
> > an re-installation cd which I assume would permit me to rescue
> > the windows install if I hose it, should I want to.
> >
> > I was thinking more like 10 gigs for Windows.  It doesn't occupy
> > but a small part of the drive now and I don't plan on using it for
> > anything ...
> >
> > I didn't realize the Fedora installer could re-size the Windows partition
> > but I will have a try at it.
> >
> ----
> 10 is too small...suggest at least 12. My new Acer Aspire One with WinXP
> SP3, OpenOffice 3, AVG Free Anti-Virus, Acrobat Reader, Flash, Firefox,
> Thunderbird, iTunes (no data) is just a hair under 10 Gb so I doubt you
> will have much space left.

Given the price of disks and disk size upgrades leave the windows disk
for windows and dedicate a disk for linux.

On windows laptops I have started buying a 'monster' disk
to replace the vendor disk.   Simple backup tools let
me backup windows and reinstall it in the front of
the new disk.

I have kept the old disk to include with warranty repair returns, bios updates
and other.   i.e. the price of a 300GB disk is about the price of XP...
and sadly resume services and hiring managers like windows tools to the exclusion
of other tools.   I was once told to send my reports as .txt files... All
that was missing was the .txt at the end of the file.  A text file without .txt
was not a text file to that individual.    And now that apple has backed
off the DRM a enough I have become a fan of iTunes and keep a windows partition
for it alone.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?