Fedora 10 64-bit & Wired Network Problems

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Wed Feb 25 20:54:40 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 14:17 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:00:46 -0500
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
> > Any other idea on what could be wrong with F10 networking?
>
> Before you get a chance to turn it off, NetworkManager
> often screws up the /etc/resolv.conf file so that you
> can't lookup any names, you might want to check it.
>
> It also often screws up the ifcfg-eth0 script to add
> incorrect DNS info so that even the "network" service
> will continue to screw up your resolv.conf file,
> you might want to add PEERDNS=OFF to the eth0
> script (or is it PEERDNS=NO) something like that.

Thanks very much for everyone's suggestions. I will have to admit the
behavior of this system is very bizarre. I tried booting the 32 bit live
CD just to see if I could configure the network. (I had previously
rebooted but it had not fixed the problems.) I had originally tried the
live CD which had booted and had a working X display by default. (When I
installed the 64-bit I had to use "linux vesa" to get a usable display
for installing.) Now when I try the live CD I get a corrupted display
that is unusable. I tried a bunch of kernel parameters to no avail to
the point that it would just hang. At one point it could not find the
root file system on the CD. So then I went back to just rebooting F10
from the hard drive. This also failed! I tried turning the system
completely off (several times). So I finally got F10 64-bit to boot from
the hard drive to which it had been installed yesterday by using
"rescue" on the install DVD. It asked me at some point if I wanted to
put in network info so I did. Once I got out of rescue and it rebooted,
miracle of miracles it rebooted, had a useable display, and NOW the
networking is working - I can view web pages and update and install
packages.

There may be some hardware problem with this 4+ years-old system or some
hardware quirks that I need to totally turn the system off before
re-booting. I guess the comments about enabling/disabling NetworkManager
and network not being enough are appropriate also.

Rick B.