Mount added drive -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 26 23:23:50 UTC 2009

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote, On 02/26/2009 02:45 PM:
>
>> Now I'm stuck.  The simplest thing would be to reinstall the system but
>> bandwidth for updates is killing me.  Wildblue is a satellite service
>> and
>> I'm limited to 17 Gigs/30 days.  I hate to keep burning up my bw.
>
> Suggestion:
> 1) in /etc/yum.conf set keepcache=1
> 2) every so often copy the contents of
> /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/ (or if your on F9
> /var/cache/yum/updates-newkey/packages/) to an external media
> (DVDs/USBHD).
> 3) when you have to reinstall you can copy the rpms back to the
> packages/ directory and yum will see them and know that it does not
> have to re download them. [it still has to get/extract the headers,
> but they are small.]
>
> This is also a useful trick when you have several machines to update
> that are running nearly the same install, i.e., by copying packages/
> from the first to later machines, the later machines only have to
> download the packages that the first machine was not running. :)

Ok, I did as yous suggested and it's running update for the third time!
Hopefully I will be able to use those files on this computer which I
will next upgrade from F-9 to 10.

I eventually got the other computer into a state where it would no
longer boot.  Apparently it wanted some files on the second drive and I
had repartitioned it with fdisk.  They were gone.

I had already wasted several days of my spare time trying to make it
work and the most expeditious way out was a reinstall.  I wanted to
reduce the size of the XP partition anyway in addition to adding the
second drive.  Once I get things running I have a pata drive I want to
add to the mix.  I will have build up some nerve to do that!

Thanks all.

Bob