Building .ko from from SRPM, what reduces .ko file size between 'make' and RPM?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Feb 27 07:03:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 17:11 +1100, David wrote:
> By the way, I live in a remote location with poor quality dialup
> internet so sadly I cannot possibly keep my installation at the latest
> update of all packages between DVD releases.
>
> I'll be really grateful for any tips on the above, thanks. David

I don't know if it's around for the latest release, but some time ago
there was a delta update system available.  Basically, many of the
updates only require small changes from the previously installed
version, so the delta update would only update the bits that changed,
rather than replace the entire old package with an entirely new package.

Someone might say if you can still do this.  It would help, enormously,
with keeping a system up to date over dialup.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.