Boot into single user mode

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:37:39 UTC 2009

Mr. Bravismore Mumanyi wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I lost root password for one of my box running Fedora 9. I am not sure
> if its one of the clever users who changed the password since I had not
> locked it down.
> I am now trying to boot into single user mode in order to reset the
> password. However, at the Fedora Splash screen the system does not
> respond to any key "a" for me to boot into run level 1. Is it a
> configuration that has been tempered with?
>
> Regards
> /Bravo

when grub loads, press e for edit, edit the second line by adding a 1 at
the end, now it will boot into single user mode (non graphical)
if grub has a password, you will need to boot into the rescue mode with
the install media, then you can chroot into your fedora and reset the
password

--
Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be