FC9 Compromised...

Jack Lauman jlauman at nwcascades.com
Fri Feb 27 20:49:32 UTC 2009

On Feb 25, between 1753-2046 PST several of my Fedora Core 9 machines
were compromised. All had the latest patches applied.

1. Only the installed user accounts are on these machines. The root user
password is long with upper/lower case characters with numerals &
punctuation. It is unlikely this was cracked.

2. All log files were deleted.

3. The following users were deleted 'root':
   mysql
   apache
   sshd
   dbus
   haldaemon
   dovecot
   gdm
   smmsp

4. The machine can only be accessed in 'single user' mode. Using
'passwd' to reset the root password fails with: "passwd: User not known
to the underlying authentication module."

Any help on resolving this would be appreciated.  I need to get data off
these before re-installation.

Have any other incidents like this been reported lately?

Thanks,

Jack