Resizing NTFS partition to make room for FC10

Tod Thomas fr33zone at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 22:39:35 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tod Thomas wrote:
>
>> Thanks.  I thought that recreating the partition using fdisk would have
>> accomplished the same thing - no?  If not what does the fdisk process I
>> followed
>> do or not do?
>>

>> Tod
>>

> It will if you create a new partition table that reflects the new
> disk size, and do not copy the mbr from the larger disk. You will
> need to re-install the Windows boot loader to the mbr of the new
> drive, or install the Grub boot loader there, and use it to select
> Windows or Linux.
>
> Mikkel

Ok, I think I understand:

/dev/hda - spare 80GB drive
/dev/hdb - old 150GB xp drive (primary partition ntfsresized to 20GB)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

fdisk /dev/hda
 - create new primary partition(hda1), bootable, type 7 (NTFS)
 - this then creates the windows MBR?

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda1 bs=10000000 count=2000
  - copies resized xp partition to new drive

Reboot to new drive and all is well.  Defragging is factored in
somewhere prior to this operation.  I think upon reboot this will
trigger xp to perform a chkdisk.
Does this make sense?

- Tod