[Fedora] Re: Upgrading old RH server

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Feb 2 01:34:45 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> There's no way to convert the passwords automatically as the hashes used are
> not reversible by design (otherwise it would just be cheap obfuscation and
> add no real security).

    Considering the old method seems to work just fine on FC10, what
could I be breaking if I just do that?  Do a clean FC10 install, then
recover the pertinent files from backup, including that /etc/shadow file
which has everyone's current passwords.

    Sooner or later, everyone will have their password expire and it
becomes a moot point, but till then, can I expect things to run fine?