is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 2 21:29:32 UTC 2009

Armin wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2009 13:54:00 Robin Laing wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>> \SNIP

>> KDE 4.1 is pretty good.  I am having some weird issues that I don't like
>> but I have not had a chance to figure out all the changes.  I hear 4.2
>> is so much better than 4.2 so I think I will be really happy.  Of course
>> that is after I change the menu back to the classic menu from the Vista
>> like menu.
>
> Ok, honestly, I have been trying to find out what do you guys in kick-off that
> is like window$, but I have yet to find out.  I don't see anything to be the
> same except that there are some things and you click on them.

I find the way the menu is now into multi-levels in KDE to be like my
experience with Vista and XP without the classic interface.  To many
clicks/mouse motions to get to where I want to be.

I prefer the classic menu as it drops one more menu.

>> My daughter prefers Gnome over KDE because KDE makes here think of Macs
>> and she has had her fair share of nightmares with Mac's.
>
> that's the first time I'm hearing this.

I wouldn't know how similar it is but those are her thoughts.  I will
try to convert her.  :)

>>> I personally agree that I would rather be using the KDE on F10 than
>>> GNOME but not everyone who disagrees is inherently wrong.
>>>
>>> Craig
>> I will drink to that.  To each their own.  The person that turned me
>> onto KDE now uses Gnome but is thinking of checking it out again when
>> 4.2 comes out.
>
> KDE 4.2 is already out and I'v been using it for 2 months now (from RC) and
> the final came out last tuesday.  You can get it from kde-redhat repo.

I don't have that repo but I will have to get it.

--
Robin Laing