Firefox Running Slow in Linux

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Feb 2 21:53:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:54:41 -0600
Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> >        Plugins.  Turn off all your plugins and retest.  There are some that
> > cause serious performance degradation.  Find the guilty party and decide
> > if it's work it.
>
> Out of the box it is slow, so unless Fedora is adding plugins by
> default, it is slow by default.

I wouldn't discount the added overhead of nspluginwrapper on plugins.
I have no measured data, but I'm always suspicious of anything that
is going to require reading and writing lots of data and context
switching between separate processes when it could just be running
directly in firefox. Of course that should only affect plugins,
nspluginwrapper is itself a plugin :-).