evolution email

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 23:10:21 UTC 2009

On 02/02/09 17:44, Wayne Feick wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 08:28 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> ----
>>> I am using IMAP and I have been for many, many years and I've migrated
>>> this particular setup from at least FC6 to now F10. I've got a LOT of
>>> mail and a LOT of folders but I'm not having 'hanging forever trying to
>>> sync' - It is not a problem that is endemic in Evolution.
>> I'm well aware of that. If it was endemic, no doubt it would be fixed by
>> now. However it's been happening to me for years on two different
>> machines connected to two different networks (to be fair, it does tend
>> to happen less than it used to).
>>
>> I also get extreme slowness when opening very large folders, especially
>> on Gmail via IMAP. Evo spends a lot of time updating its state, in fact
>> I sometimes see two *overlapping* updates, apparently because the first
>> one takes so long (in fact it can sit at 0% apparently forever) that it
>> runs out the polling interval and starts another one. This doesn't
>> happen with Tbird on the same machine, network and account setup. Tbird
>> never takes more than a few seconds to open one of these folders.
>>
>> poc
>
> I've been having a lot of problems lately with Evolution forgetting that
> I've already read messages and marking them unread again. It has also
> forgetting that messages were marked as junk and making me junk them
> again. Are others seeing this as well?

The read/unread thing yes, the Junk thing no. In fact I've had
occasional bouts of Evo thinking a message is new and re-applying
filters, resulting in multiple copies of the same message in some
folder. Note that these copies are bit-for-bit identical and I'm certain
the problem isn't on my IMAP server (a large Cyrus installation). This
is 2.24.3 and I've mentioned it on the Evo list but no-one responded.
It's hard to reproduce but has happened to me at least twice. It might
be a problem with Evo caching the \Unseen flag for IMAP messages.

> I have to say that Evolution has never been a very stable piece of
> software in my experience, with lots of strange hangs and unexpected
> behavior. Certainly the exchange connector has never been a good
> experience for me.

Thank $DEITY that I don't use Exchange. Never have and hopefully never
will. I do understand we can't all be so picky though.

poc