Firefox Running Slow in Linux

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Feb 3 01:50:39 UTC 2009

Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know I'll probably get hazed by this already saturated question, but
> I haven't found any solid answers to my issue from the archives.  I'm
> running Fedora 10 x86_64 and loving the "adventure" of running an 64
> bit system.  I'm also running Firefox 3.0.x (x86_64), but I've noticed
> that it's not very smooth compared to it running on a Windows machine
> and I'm little confused why.
>
> It's more the scroll bar than anything else.  It's something small,
> but it's ruining the surfing experience and I'm a little embarrassed
> to let other people use it on my desktop.  I don't want to give Linux
> a bad name and these folks are primarily Windows/MAC users.  So; their
> experience with using Firefox on my system is a tainted one.
>
> I've tried running Swiftfox, but I haven't gotten it to load (that's
> another issue) so I'm kind of stuck with Firefox.
>
> --
> Marc F.
>
> www.fergytech.com <http://www.fergytech.com>
> Registered Linux User: #410978
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!" -Marc F.
This is probably a different situation, but for me, I discovered just
how much browsers can be greatly slowed down if there are slow/bad
DNS server entries.  Make sure that *all* of your DNS server entries
are good in the /etc/resolv.conf file (can be set with System->
Administration->Network (DNS tab)).  The odd thing is, only the
browsers that were very slow, but everything else seemed to work
fine.  You can check FF against your local web-server just to make
sure it is not a DNS resolver issue or the Internet infrastructure.

For me, FF works well with:

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
Kernel 2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686 i686
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
CPUs: 2
2017MB RAM

... and my daughter's system, also an F9 with a different
and faster Intel Motherboard, Duo-Core, 2GB RAM

FWIW,
Dan