F10 post installation kernel issue?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Feb 3 20:12:07 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

>> Eh?  Sure that's not "/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map" (/lib/kbd NOT
>> /lib/kdb and no capital K)?
>>
>> If what you posted is what's really being displayed, then we have
>> serious problems.  The correct directory is provided by kbd RPM.

>> If the system is looking for the keymap you've shown, it won't find it,
>> the console won't be set up and things will come to a screeching halt.
>> I run 64-bit kernels so I can't test it and I don't know where it's
>> getting that path from.  I have run all the kernels you show and they
>> run fine here.  None ask for that funky keymap path.
> I double-checked and got that path wrong initially.
> The correct path shown on boot up (but appears ONLY
> with the later newer kernels) are:
>
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map
>
> It still hangs.  The interesting thing is, as I said, I can
> boot with the first kernel (1) installed but not the ones
> following.  Still scratching my head...

Ok, hmmm.  It looks like the initrd images didn't get built right.  Boot
up under the kernel that works, then as root:

	# cd /boot
	# mkinitrd -f -v initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.img
		2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686

(the second and third lines should be ONE line...my mailer is wrapping
them)

Then try rebooting using that -170 kernel again.  The keymaps and things
actually are in the initrd image as well as the main system.  See if
that does the job.
-     If one is what one eats, then I am fast, cheap and greasy!     -