F10 post installation kernel issue?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Feb 3 23:29:09 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Eh?  Sure that's not "/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map" (/lib/kbd
>>> NOT
>>> /lib/kdb and no capital K)?
>>>
>>> If what you posted is what's really being displayed, then we have
>>> serious problems.  The correct directory is provided by kbd RPM.

>>> If the system is looking for the keymap you've shown, it won't find it,
>>> the console won't be set up and things will come to a screeching halt.
>>> I run 64-bit kernels so I can't test it and I don't know where it's
>>> getting that path from.  I have run all the kernels you show and they
>>> run fine here.  None ask for that funky keymap path.
>> I double-checked and got that path wrong initially.
>> The correct path shown on boot up (but appears ONLY
>> with the later newer kernels) are:
>>
>> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map
>>
>> It still hangs.  The interesting thing is, as I said, I can
>> boot with the first kernel (1) installed but not the ones
>> following.  Still scratching my head...
>
> Ok, hmmm.  It looks like the initrd images didn't get built right.  Boot
> up under the kernel that works, then as root:
>
>     # cd /boot
>     # mkinitrd -f -v initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.img
>         2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686
>
> (the second and third lines should be ONE line...my mailer is wrapping
> them)
>
> Then try rebooting using that -170 kernel again.  The keymaps and things
> actually are in the initrd image as well as the main system.  See if
> that does the job.
Did what you suggested and it does not change anything.  Still hangs.
I tried autorelabel for SeLinux just in case, no change.  It is subjective,
but could having the filesystem encrypted be a problem?  Did you try
to see if you can run all the kernel version under an encrypted filesystem?

I am now testing to see if removing any packages (one by one) has any
effect,
a shot in the dark, but I do not know what else to do.

Thanks!
Dan