F10 post installation kernel issue?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Feb 3 23:53:06 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> I double-checked and got that path wrong initially.
>>> The correct path shown on boot up (but appears ONLY
>>> with the later newer kernels) are:
>>>
>>> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map
>>>
>>> It still hangs.  The interesting thing is, as I said, I can
>>> boot with the first kernel (1) installed but not the ones
>>> following.  Still scratching my head...
>>
>> Ok, hmmm.  It looks like the initrd images didn't get built right.  Boot
>> up under the kernel that works, then as root:
>>
>>     # cd /boot
>>     # mkinitrd -f -v initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.img
>>         2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686
>>
>> (the second and third lines should be ONE line...my mailer is wrapping
>> them)
>>
>> Then try rebooting using that -170 kernel again.  The keymaps and things
>> actually are in the initrd image as well as the main system.  See if
>> that does the job.
> Did what you suggested and it does not change anything.  Still hangs.
> I tried autorelabel for SeLinux just in case, no change.  It is subjective,
> but could having the filesystem encrypted be a problem?

I've heard of issues regarding encrypted filesystems.  I'm pretty sure
there's a thread on it in this forum somewhere.  It may be that the
initrd didn't get built with the cryptographic stuff.  I don't think
mkinitrd is smart enough to realize it needs the crypto stuff from the
/etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/fstab and you have to force feed it that
stuff with "--with=module" on the command line.

 >                                                            Did you try
> to see if you can run all the kernel version under an encrypted filesystem?

I don't use encrypted filesystems myself, so I'm going to have to bow
out on any of that stuff.  However, when you built the initrd, I
recommended you use the "-v" flag.  You should have seen it include the
crypto modules along with the "dm-" stuff.  If not...well, that may be
your problem.

> I am now testing to see if removing any packages (one by one) has any
> effect,
> a shot in the dark, but I do not know what else to do.

Don't think that's it.  It's quitting long before any other stuff is
loaded up...it's definitely having issues with the root filesystem,
and I'm willing to bet it is this crypto stuff.  Check the archives of
this list to find the thread(s) regarding it.
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -