Wifi dies about once an hour. Bug in update ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 01:17:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aside: I'd love to have a network manager like what is shipped with F10
> Live, but I've never been able to figure out how to get it running.  If
> anyone knows, I'd like to tackle that once I get wlan0 running stable.

Unless you mock with the settings for your network... NetworkManager
just runs.  If you are editting connection settings by hand using the
legacy network configuration tool then you've probably inadvertently
disabled NM's ability to manage that device.  Out of the box NM should
require absolutely no configuration for dhcp based dynamic wireless
network access.  Its just a matter of selecting the wireless network
from NM's selection interface.  If you have editted system wide
network configurations that will impact NM's functionality as the
legacy configuration tool allows you to hide devices from NM.

Its seldom enough to just tell us you've installed updates. Which
updates matter. For example are you injesting external drivers from
rpmfusion or other 3rd party source. That matters a great deal in
terms of trying to reproduce the problem.

I'm not seeing this on my hardware. But that's not really saying much
because I've no idea if we have similar hardware and I have no idea if
we are both running the same software.  I have an uptodate system..but
i eat updatest-testing so I have no idea if I'm comparable to you in
terms of packages on the system. And I'm using NM.

First thing to do when troubleshooting your own hardware, is to
fallback to the older kernel. You should have at least one older
kernel available as an alternative to boot.  If they older fixes the
problem that is an indication that its a driver level problem.

-jef