F10 post installation kernel issue?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Feb 4 19:14:53 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> Did what you suggested and it does not change anything.  Still hangs.
>>> I tried autorelabel for SeLinux just in case, no change.  It is
>>> subjective,
>>> but could having the filesystem encrypted be a problem?
>>
>> I've heard of issues regarding encrypted filesystems.  I'm pretty sure
>> there's a thread on it in this forum somewhere.  It may be that the
>> initrd didn't get built with the cryptographic stuff.  I don't think
>> mkinitrd is smart enough to realize it needs the crypto stuff from the
>> /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/fstab and you have to force feed it that
>> stuff with "--with=module" on the command line.
>>
>> >                                                            Did you try
>>> to see if you can run all the kernel version under an encrypted
>>> filesystem?
>>
>> I don't use encrypted filesystems myself, so I'm going to have to bow
>> out on any of that stuff.  However, when you built the initrd, I
>> recommended you use the "-v" flag.  You should have seen it include the
>> crypto modules along with the "dm-" stuff.  If not...well, that may be
>> your problem.
>>
>>> I am now testing to see if removing any packages (one by one) has any
>>> effect,
>>> a shot in the dark, but I do not know what else to do.
>>
>> Don't think that's it.  It's quitting long before any other stuff is
>> loaded up...it's definitely having issues with the root filesystem,
>> and I'm willing to bet it is this crypto stuff.  Check the archives of
>> this list to find the thread(s) regarding it.
> I think I discovered what it was.
>
> I was looking over the grub stuff, specifically to those newly
> added kernels and at the grub kernel line, I found this added to
> the end of that line:
>
> init=/sbin/bootchartd
>
> What the heck is that!?!?
>
> I edited this out in grub, and booted, a LO AND BEHOLD!  It worked!
>
> Geez, what is going on?

That is odd.  I don't have that on any of my machines.  Supposedly it
comes from the bootchart RPM, but I only see that for F9...it doesn't
appear to be in F10.  It claims to provide "Boot process performance
visualization", whatever the hell that is!

> Thanks for bearing with me!

Hey, YOU fixed it, not me.  Congrats!  I never even thought to look at
grub (putting that in my little book o' tricks).
-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -