gdm hangs when switching users

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Thu Feb 5 01:28:17 UTC 2009

I'm running F10 64 bit on a laptop that I upgraded from F9 via
preupgrade and is currently up to date with all the current updates.
After the last update, gdm now hangs when I try to switch users.  It
works fine logging in as the first user, but when I attempt to switch
users, gdm starts up but hangs before it completes drawing the screen.
Most of the time it will show Other... with the lower panel half
displayed, but sometimes the display doesn't get even that far.  The
mouse can still move, but no click will do any good.  I've not had a
chance to try to ssh into the box, but the only thing I've found to get
out of the situation is to power cycle the box.  I can log out and log
in multiple times as different users without issue, so it is only the
user switching that seems affected.

Is any one else seeing this behavior?  I've searched and not really
found anything that looks similar, so maybe it's something about my
configuration, but I've really got no idea where to start debugging.

Thanks
Woogie