XFCE depends on GNOME, why?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 5 19:53:43 UTC 2009

Globe Trotter wrote:

> I have tried this a number of times and over time, gnome elements still get pulled in.

Be specific and show the output of the command I have given. Xfce does
have "GNOME" elements in it depending on what you consider part of GNOME.

> I think part of the problem may be that when a developer (who perhaps uses Gnome) builds rpms, he often puts in some unnecessary dependency.

Can't happen this way. Every package is build under a clean chroot.
GNOME developers don't build Xfce anyway.

To see this, note that

> yum erase gnome\*
>
> (see below for my installation)
>
> will delete things like firefox which should have nothing to do with gnome but is mistakenly dependent on these gnome\

Firefox has such dependencies. Upstream either include local copies or
statically builds them and it is less exposed that way but it is still
there.

Rahul