Mount points for CD-ROM

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 5 21:22:35 UTC 2009

Scott Karlin wrote:
> I was surprised that I had to create mount points and use an explicit
> mount to read a CD-ROM:
>
> # mkdir /media/cdrom
> # mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
>
> Is this typical?  Is there some RPM that creates the mount points?
>
> I don't mind becoming root to do the mount -- I was just surprised
> the mount points weren't already there.
>
> Scott

Depending on your settings, in the GUI mode HAL will create the
mount point for the CD/DVD and mount it when you insert the disk. If
you are using the cli, you can use gnome-mount to do the same thing.
Gone are the days of having to mount CD/DVDs by hand, and having the
mount point be in the /mnt tree.

Mikkel