REMINDER: Classroom sessions this weekend!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 20:07:08 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:06:37AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 21:43 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > We have some good classes lined up this time:
> >
> > 1:30 UTC ...
>
> It used to be quite easy to see UTC time without using the command line.
> But now, on Gnome, at least, it isn't.  There's no option for quickly
> seeing the taskbar clock in UTC instead of local.  And the options for
> adding extra clocks doesn't give you any way to add UTC (a rather
> obvious, but not doable, solution).  The only way I could see to do that
> would be to add a location that has no offset from GMT, and doesn't
> observe daylight savings.  But I don't know of one like that.

You can add another clock applet, and then set the GConf key for
gmt_time on that applet:

gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/panel/applets/<that_applet>/prefs/gmt_time true

(I find the "gconf-editor" package really helpful for mucking around
with GConf -- it ends up in your Accessories > System Tools menu and
is essentially a slick GUI for gconftool-2.)

But I do wish you could add a location for UTC.  I haven't looked, but
it might be filed as an enhancement request in the upstream
bugzilla.gnome.org -- if it's not, you could file one.