How can make my webcam visible everywhere?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Feb 8 00:44:29 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> You don't say what protocol is used to access the webcam.
>>>

>> Thanks for your response.
>> The webcam image is seen through my web-browser,
>> so I guess the protocol is http .
>>

>>> But, in any
>>> event, this is normally accomplished by port forwarding.  We don't know
>>> what the rest of your network looks like to complete the solution for
>>> you.   So, the question would be what device on your network has the
>>> true internet IP address?  If it is a DSL router or some such device
>>> they have port forwarding capabilities builtin.  If your Linux box acts
>>> as the firewall/router/NAT then you need to configure iptables to do the
>>> port forwarding for you.
>>>

>> My internet connection and web server has internal address 192.168.2.2 .
>> I'm running shorewall as firewall on this server.
>> I have IP_FORWARDING=On in shorewall.conf .
>>
>> I'm not sure what line to add to "rules",
>> or what address I would give from outside my system
>> to access the webcam.
>>
>> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>

> Well, you haven't quite answered the question.
>
> You are running shorewall...and your internal IP address is
> 192.168.2.2.  This is what can be called an RFC-1918 and can't be
> directly accessed from the internet.
>
> Can we assume that your system has two interfaces?  One with a
> non-RFC-1918 address?
>
> If so...then the best thing you can do is head over to
> http://www.shorewall.net/  and go to "Documentation", pick the version
> you are running and go to "Index" and then "Port Forwarding" as this
> will explain what you need in better words than I could.

Oh....

Forgot to mention that if your network is as described then you have one
minor problem if your shorewall machine is also your web server.  Both
the webcam and your webserver use http and thus both port 80.

If that is the case then you can either put the webcam on a different
port and use http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:XXX addressing.  Where xxx is your
server's name or internet IP and XX is a port other than 80 that isn't
being used.

There are other options....but that is the easiest.

He who hates vices hates mankind. Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg