f11 alpha x86_64 live KDE image too large to fit on CD?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 02:12:28 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> From: Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
> Subject: Re: f11 alpha x86_64 live KDE image too large to fit on CD?
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 5:01 PM
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   that has to be awfully close to the maximum
> capacity.  is that
> > really too large?  and why put out an image that just
> ever so slightly
> > goes over the limit?  or am i misreading something?
>
> Settings / Configure K3b...
> [x] Allow overburning (not supported by cdrecord <=
> 1.10)
> OK
> and you should be good to go. This should probably be added
> to the wiki.
>
> I wonder if we should set this option by default in
> kde-settings.
>
> As for why we didn't just make it fit the limit: our
> live CD maintainer was
> extremely busy and he didn't have much time to work on
> the live image in
> the short time frame leading to the alpha. He did make one
> adjustment to
> try to reach the target size, but it was still slightly
> over the limit. I
> was also extremely busy (and I also have no experience with
> spinning live
> images, which is needed to test what size they result in),
> so I wasn't able
> to help.
>
> We will try to make it fit into whatever K3b and/or wodim
> thinks is the
> maximum size (is it 700*1024*1024 bytes? Or something close
> to that? I'll
> have to check) for the beta. (Sigh, having to cut off
> useful applications
> to stay within an arbitrary limit which can usually be
> overburned anyway is
> frustrating. I'd even argue we should actually make the
> images
> intentionally slightly oversized, but I guess my suggestion
> won't get much
> sympathy.)
>
>         Kevin Kofler
>
> --

How about a live dvd with all/most DE in place, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and LXDE
as well.  That would be better download all the possibilities in one DVD.  This would make a "one size fits all" mentality, otherwise put in a usb drive with the capacity to boot it with a specialized cd to boot usb drives(when the bios does not work, and user does not have a dvd drive).

Regards,

Antonio