WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 02:21:14 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com>
> Subject: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 6:13 PM
> I do not understand how Fedora expects you to upgrade or
> reinstall
> every 6 months or so.
>
> This is just not right.
>
> Should a distro keep continuing to make you install every
> six months,
> if so, I would rather use Microsoft. Why not provide
> updates, major
> ones, to the already installed OS instead of having to
> reinstall a new
> OS!!! I imagine that this, if done in an organized way,
> could be
> easier on the developers of Fedora.
>
> INSTEAD OF MAKING CONSUMERS INSTALL EVERY SIX MONTHS OR
> UNTIL THE
> UPDATES STOP, JUST PROVIDE LARGE UPDATES THAT UPGRADE A
> SYSTEM WITHOUT
> HAVING TO DO A COMPLETELY NEW INSTALL???
>
> THEN YOU WILL HAVE A LARGER FAN BASE AND A MORE STABLE
> OS!!!
>
> --

While a part of me AGREES with you, there is another part of me that I already run a version of Fedora that does this for me and I have been running it for a good time, on occasions things break, but there a great number of helpful people and things get back on track.  I do not worry about having to install every six months because I get updates almost on a daily basis.

I run Fedora rawhide(*except on weekends where it can be Fedora 9, Fedora 10, Slax or Slackware at home).  Otherwise I cannot complain about the updates.  I save the information that is important to me, and I try to reinstall the latest one.  I try to enjoy Linux to the max.

I feel for you in the other way bevause Red Hat had this going for many users, but then they turned around and changed the infrastructure to make a business version and this version which forces the users to do as you suggest.  While you can wait longer(1 year), still things are alright :)

Regards,

Antonio