WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Sun Feb 8 02:46:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 21:13 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I do not understand how Fedora expects you to upgrade or reinstall
> every 6 months or so.
>
> This is just not right.
>
> Should a distro keep continuing to make you install every six months,
> if so, I would rather use Microsoft. Why not provide updates, major
> ones, to the already installed OS instead of having to reinstall a new
> OS!!! I imagine that this, if done in an organized way, could be
> easier on the developers of Fedora.
>
> INSTEAD OF MAKING CONSUMERS INSTALL EVERY SIX MONTHS OR UNTIL THE
> UPDATES STOP, JUST PROVIDE LARGE UPDATES THAT UPGRADE A SYSTEM WITHOUT
> HAVING TO DO A COMPLETELY NEW INSTALL???
>
> THEN YOU WILL HAVE A LARGER FAN BASE AND A MORE STABLE OS!!!

Hi Mike,

There's a few things to note:

- Updates are available for 2 releases plus one month. You can update
once a year and stay current with Fedora.

- The "preupgrade" package enables you to upgrade from one Fedora
release to another without reinstalling (though your mileage may vary).

- For long-term support, there's RHEL and CentOS (both are based on
Fedora technology) -- you can reinstall just twice a decade.

- Releasing every 6 months helps Fedora fulfill its goal of driving the
rapid development of open source.

--
Chris