WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 04:55:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 23:25 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > I think you make less of a point about liking Fedora than the point you
> > make in that you don't understand how it all works.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > --
> Say what you will, which isn't true, but I have used Fedora for quite
> sometime, because I like it very much.
>
> There must be someway for Fedora to work through updates and upgrades,
> then installing a new OS?

On Ubuntu (which also has a 6-month upgrade cycle BTW) you can do a
"dist-upgrade" when going from one version to another. This looks like a
normal upgrade except that it downloads a lot more stuff and takes
longer, however it is fairly easy to use. For a long time Fedora had
nothing equivalent but now there's "preupgrade", which AFAIK (I haven't
tried it) is more or less the same idea, just less point-and-clicky. I'm
sure we'll get there eventually ...

However the point I'm trying to make is that all OSes have a version
upgrade process that's more complex than simply updating some packages.
Changing versions allows the developers more freedom to rip out
important parts of the foundations and replace them, without worrying
about the system staying up while this is taking place (a process a
friend compares to repairing a car engine while the car is in motion).

Given that this is a fact of life, your complaint appears to boil down
to the frequency with which it happens. The only possible response, as
others have said, is that if this bothers you then you're using the
wrong distro.

poc