WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Feb 8 11:45:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:13:21 -0500
Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not understand how Fedora expects you to upgrade or reinstall
> every 6 months or so.
>
> This is just not right.
>
> Should a distro keep continuing to make you install every six months,
> if so, I would rather use Microsoft.

Feel free. I believe Microsoft solved the problem by labelling the
equivalent degree of updating as "service pack" instead of release.

However if you want to run the latest stuff it tends to require other
latest stuff which in turn ends up updating everything a step.

If you want an utterly boring older technology long life setup then you
want something like Centos, which backports key fixes over the years
rather than adding the latest and greatest.

Given you only need to update every year (two releases) and its a case of
shoving a CD in or running the live updater/rebooting it's not a big
deal. I've got boxes I managed that started as Red Hat 6 or 7 that are
now Fedora 9 or 10 entirely by upgrading. Thats a bit like going Windows
98 to Windows Vista without a reinstall and it works just fine...

Alan