QEMU-KVM and release input shortcut

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:41:41 UTC 2009

Hello,

2009/2/8 Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk>:
> suvayu ali wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was trying out F11 today with kvm, while installing I realised I
>> could not go to the virtual terminals or restart the machine using
>> Ctrl+Alt+<..> as pressing Ctrl+Alt released the input from the guest,
>> and when I pressed the Fn key, I was going to the virtual terminal for
>> the host. So my question is, is there a way to change this keystroke
>> combo for releasing the input so that I can go to the virtual
>> terminals in the guest? Or is there any other way to go to virtual
>> terminals other than Ctrl+Alt+<..>? Either is good I guess ...
>> probably the later will be better as I already use quite a few short
>> cuts on the host. Finding new ones wouldn't be that easy. :-/
>
> Press F8 to get the menu, there you can enable ctrl and alt,
> and then press Fn. A Ctrl-Alt-Fn is then sent.

Thanks for the reply. However I don't quite understand what you mean
by pressing F8. Here is what I do,

To create the image
$ qemu-img create -f qcow2 /path/to/img 5G

To boot,
$ sudo qemu-kvm -hda /path/to/img -cdrom /path/to/iso \
-soundhw all -m 2G -boot d &

I am using the KDE live CD. So it boots to that fine. But when I try
to install, it says the size of the drive is smaller than 2 gigs and
can't go ahead. So I wanted to look at any messages from anaconda at
install time. When do I press F8? I tried doing it at the live CD
desktop just to check, but didn't seem to do anything.

--
Suvayu