WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Feb 9 03:31:44 UTC 2009

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:13:21 -0500
> Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do not understand how Fedora expects you to upgrade or reinstall
>> every 6 months or so.
>>
>> This is just not right.
>>
>> Should a distro keep continuing to make you install every six months,
>> if so, I would rather use Microsoft.
>
> Feel free. I believe Microsoft solved the problem by labelling the
> equivalent degree of updating as "service pack" instead of release.
>
> However if you want to run the latest stuff it tends to require other
> latest stuff which in turn ends up updating everything a step.
>
> If you want an utterly boring older technology long life setup then you
> want something like Centos, which backports key fixes over the years
> rather than adding the latest and greatest.
>
> Given you only need to update every year (two releases) and its a case of
> shoving a CD in or running the live updater/rebooting it's not a big
> deal. I've got boxes I managed that started as Red Hat 6 or 7 that are
> now Fedora 9 or 10 entirely by upgrading. Thats a bit like going Windows
> 98 to Windows Vista without a reinstall and it works just fine...

The average user would have no more ability to address the administration issues
than to breathe water. You are an uber-admin, and I admit that just a good
experienced admin can make upgrades work, but you wind up with suboptimal file
layout, in some cases inappropriate file system types, etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>