automount of filesystem by label

Tod Thomas fr33zone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:02:06 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tod Thomas wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>> Dumb question - what error message do you get when you try do "cd
>>> /misc/sata1"? Automount does not mount anything until you try to
>>> access it. It does not mount your drive just because you plugged it in.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> No such file or directory, and that's doing a "cd /mnt/sata1" - I always
>> mount to mnt, I just reused the /etc/auto.misc file.
>>

> Oops - you are correct - I missed the change. If I remember
> correctly, the mount points need to exist - automount does not
> create them.
>
> Mikkel

As it turns out there were two problems.  The first was a typo.  The
second was trying to use -L to automount the partition by label.
Instead in auto.misc I needed:

sata1   -fstype=ext3   :/dev/disk/by-label/SATA1
sata2   -fstype=ext3   :/dev/disk/by-label/SATA2

/dev/disk/by-label?  How long has that been around?

Thanks Mikkel for helping out.

- Tod